The earlier PHP team has announced that on November 26, they will release the PHP 8 version. Today they have released the latest version. This update is considered as a major update of the language. With the latest updates, it comes with many great features.
There are several new features and updates in this, such as NullSafe Operator, Union types support, Promotion of Constructor Property, New Static Return type, Match expression, New Throw Expression, and many more.
Features of PHP 8
- Named Argument – In this, we can Specify only the required parameters and we can skip the optional parameters. one thing to keep in mind is Arguments will be order-independent.
- Union types – we can use native union type declarations, which will be validated at runtime.
- Match Expression – this is going to be similar to the switch function and you don’t need to use the Break keyword in it. The result of this expression can be stored in any variable. It only supports single-line expressions.
- Attributes – In this, you can now use structured metadata with the native syntax of Php.
- NullSafe Operator – You need to do intermediate checks, and you can use a chain of calls.
- Just-In-Time compilation – In Php 8, JIT compilation is introduced. Due to this, you can have better performance and a smooth experience.
- Improvements in error handling – It has now, Inheritance with private methods, Strict type checking for arithmetic or bitwise operators, and many more.
- Several new Classes, Interfaces, and Functions – Weak Map class, Stringable interface, str_contains(), str_starts_with(), str_ends_with(), fdiv(), object implementation of token_get_all(), New get_resource_id() function and many more.
- New Static Return type – This is one of the great features, As we can have a static return type.
If you want a better improvement and great performance in it, then update the latest version of Php 8 and enjoy the new features.